Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween Memories

This week on Topic Tuesday our wonderful organizer, Jeff Adkins, has suggested writing about our favorite Halloween memory. This one has me kinda perplexed. Don't get me wrong. I love Halloween. It's probably my favorite season, but I don't have a favorite memory. Nothing that stands out from all the rest. Not like a favorite Christmas where a long awaited present was received, or a birthday where you got everything you wanted.

I have memories of Halloweens past. I remember the haunted house we went to when I was around 14 or 15. There were four of us, five if you count my sister. It was my best friend, Angie, her brother, Davy, his best friend, David, and me. Davy and David were the same age, 12 or 13. They were both taller than us, weighed more, too. (There is a point here...I promise.)

We waited in line to go inside. David was standing in the back of our group. He kept moving forward  getting closer and closer to my sister. (You have to understand something here. My sister. She's 14 years older than I am. It was more like having a second mother than a sister.) David kept announcing he wasn't going in last every time he moved. Finally, my sister made eye contact with him before pointedly looking down. When she looked back up, she told him if he stepped on her foot one more time, he wouldn't be going in at all. The rest of us watched the interaction waiting to see what would happen. David maintained eye contact as he replied he still wasn't going in last.

That was more impressive than the haunted house.

Trick-or-treating as a kid wasn't the easiest of feats. I didn't live in a neighborhood. There was one house on my street where I could go. My dad would take me to my aunt's house on the street to the east of where we lived. Then I would go to the neighbors on either side of my aunt, across the street to my uncle's, and Mr. Virgil's house south of the field next to my uncle's house. Those were the only places I went as a kid. There weren't any other houses.

When my sister bought her house in the subdivision she lives in, I was 12. I was on the cusp of being too old to trick-or-treat. I went for a few years with my niece and then with my nephew when he came along, but I had stopped dressing up.

These are the only memories which stand out in my childhood of Halloween. What are yours?


Check out the rest of the usual suspects here.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a favorite, but I do have a grrrrrr one. This was back when I was in Cub Scouts. I went all out on a costume and one of the guys who wore a sailor outfit had his grandmother offer to be a judge. Guess who got picked over moi? He did. In a sailor outfit?????? I was a very, very cool Darth Vader! That was such a load of horse shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a haunted house once when I was younger- I don't remember much about it other than the outside decorations were cool. It must not have been very good on the inside though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol at the line for the haunted house. well at least you got a short time of fun trick-or-treating. I prefer Jelly Bellies though so I don't expect those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I have A BILLION. I remember being a kid better than I remember my 20's. I have 5 brothers, and on Halloween they were determined to hit the entire city, it seemed. We would start at 6:30 pm and RUN from house to house clear until 11 pm when our pillowcases were half way to entirely full and we had three to six months worth of candy stocked up. Afterwards we'd sit in the living room, sort through our candy, and create "trade stores" where we'd barter away the nasty with each other stuff for our favorite treats. After that the priority became finding a good hiding place so no one snuck in and stole your candy when you weren't looking.

    ReplyDelete